Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My thoughts on Scams and Craig’s list!

If you are thinking about posting items on Craig’s list, take a couple minutes to read my comments. I have been posting items on Craig’s list that also appear on http://www.brickhouseantiques.com/

I don’t have much positive to say about the buyer client that responds to my postings on Craig’s list. I consider most of them scams. What I did not realize when I started this, is that when I post to Rochester, NY the listing is still on the word wide web, and can be seen by anyone who is looking for new postings. 99% of the time when I post I get 2 to 3 inquiries that go something like this:

1st email: Hello, is this item still available? I reply yes it is. 2nd email. I am interested and my new wife and I are going on vacation. Will you please take the item off Craig’s list? I will pay you $50.00 extra for your trouble. And you do not have to worry about shipping; I will have my delivery person pick it up. I will send you the money when I get back home. So please send me your information so I can make payment. And they proceed to ask me for my personal info. BIG RED FLAG. If you are posting, do not provide your information to anyone.

I also get this kind of scam. The buyer agrees to pay your price. Informs me that they have sent a check, and expect me to send item when funds are received. (Which is what I would expect to do). Prior to the funds arriving, they send another email stating the the person who wrote the check made it out for $450.00 instead of $45.00. And ask me to wire the difference into their account. NEVER WIRE FUNDS. I believe the check they send you will not clear, and if you have already wired your money to them, it will be gone! And I have never received one of those checks that were in the mail!

That's all for now from the Brick House Blogger!

PS-I have posted new items and reduced prices on a couple of items this week at: http://www.brickhouseantiques.com/

No comments: